Wednesday, February 23, 2011

squeezing the juice

I went to my blog today and was surprised to realize I missed writing this Sunday. I had to check my day planner to figure out why that happened. It happened because I put 8 hours into a work task this weekend and what remained of my weekend spirit was like what remains in the orange when the juice is squeezed out.

Here it is Wednesday and I am just figuring this out--and how physical aches and pains could be related to my sense of depletion. I get rehydrated, rejuiced by blog writing and lack that, I feel empty and a bit sad.

So it's a lesson learned, again, to me about how important writing is to me. Even though I have tried to set up Fridays as my day "off" of work and, instead, should be a day to focus on writing, that didn't happen last week either. I did push in some time at Starbucks on Saturday to start to read my new book, The Poetry Dictionary by John Drury. Even for just 30 minutes I felt my mood rise as I learned about the term: accentual meter. Maybe I learned it years ago in my English Lit days, but the idea that a poem's rhythm matches the ancient rhythm of oars as they swished in the rough weathered waters took my soul into an imaginary ship. That's what words can do to me.

Is there a way that you find respite and replenishment during a busy day or work week? I welcome you sharing your ideas with me--we need to reassure each other that we deserve to live a life that is fully juiced up!!

No comments: