Tuesday, March 20, 2012

spring time in New York

I don't have photos to post yet but you will see that we so lucked out (in many ways) with our NYC/NJ trip: "it is as warm as May", I heard one local say yesterday as we took a ferry to Ellis Island. Joggers are bare chested, toddlers resist putting on a jacket as their nannies try to tug them into obedience, dogs frolick at the harbor park and sunshine glitters on the Hudson.

We have just today to have more adventures...and we will. Last week, we ventured into the City, via the train on the NJ side, and "got lucky" by scoring late afternoon tour tickets to the 9/11 Memorial. Last night, my son met up with a friend and did Manhattan, Times Square and Hell's Kitchen, coming back at 2 a.m. full of NYC lightheadedness. My husband went on his own (with a bit more frustration, I think) to see his cousin who lives by Central Park and he stayed over rather than repeat a very late night of trying to get the right subway to train.

As for me, I requested and enjoyed a solitary evening in my cousin's apartment, gazing at the NY skyline and lights, finding mars in the sky, reading and writing. This is not a lifestyle I could take on for everyday but it's one that, I think, gives a deeper meaning to the 99% vs. 1% current economic divide. We are "visiting" the world of the 1% and returning to our real 99% life tomorrow.

More on the trip and reentry next week, if not before.

No comments: