Sunday, September 29, 2013

Quilting and Do It Yourself Day at the Pima Public Library

Yesterday, we went to a DIY session (I went to one on quilting, Mark went to a session on mobile camera photography: both very good) at the library's first such event #libraryDiyDay.  I asked the security guard if the crowd (very busy) was a typical Saturday and he said "no" it was up by about 75%.  I know I enjoyed the event and learning about the resources the Tucson Quilters Guild offers.  http://tucsonquiltersguild.com/

I am not going to become a serious quilter but I am fascinated by the craft and watch Porter and Fons (or is it vice versa?) on PBS most Saturday mornings.  Last week I went to the Quilt Expo which is really for folks like the leaders of the library session who are really into quilting.  The Expo does show quilts but more products for quilting than the former.  In January there is a huge show at the TCC and I will attend to that. 

When I think about quilting, I sort of imagine a quieter time when people like my grandmother and great-grandmother gathered at quilting bees and talked and shared and learned from each other as they hand stitched their utility quilts.  Now, as I learned at the DIY session, most quilters have a mechanical/sewing maching and permanent quilting machine.  They can take the mechanical with them to meetings and events.  It's not an inexpensive craft: tools and fabrics are quite costly.  And many quilts now are more "for show" than for use.  I have inherited one that was well used and I want to get documented--a goal for 2014 maybe. 

The in-my-youth "sewer" in me (home ec. class was always a struggle but what I really learned about sewing I learned from my mom) would like to pick up a needle and thread again and I have unfinished embroidery projects in a bedroom basket.  Yet, the idea of working with fabric as in a quilt has some appeal.  If I do it, it will be a small product.  Time will tell.

 (from the Tucson Quilter's Guild website)

No comments: