Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Leaf Peeping on Mt. Lemmon

 
I hadn't heard this expression before but Mark says that's what Easterners call the experience of "outsiders" visiting the autumal landscapes.  Then, later on Monday--which is our monthly "mountain Monday" time, I heard KOLD-TV's weatherman, Chuck George, say it again:  "leaf peeping", so that's what we did on Monday.  We went "leaf peeping" on Mt. Lemmon. 



No colors appeared in the first forest at Bear Canyon, but past Windy Point and onto Bear Wallow where the leaves were ablaze.  I think the oak has already peaked and turned brown, but red maples were splendid and the aspen were shimmering gold. Thanks to recent physical therapy work to strengthen my legs and ankle and with some assistance from Mark at the high angle spots on the path, I was able to do a 1.5 mile hike in the Bear Wallow ravine.  I love listening to aspen leaves rustle in the wind and, when we got to the "tippy top" (I overhead a toddler using this description close to the UA Observatory), I gathered a few fallen aspen twigs to make a bouquet for home. 

 
 
 

It was a wonderful day.  We wrapped it up with a restful meal at the Sawmill Run restaurant in Summerhaven which I have reviewed (with photos) at http://anitawritesforyou.blogspot.com .

No comments: