Friday, December 14, 2012

tiny tree

This year, for various reasons, I didn't feel like hauling out our big articfical tree and hanging the ornaments.  Instead, I went to Target yesterday and bought this tiny tree to decorate.  I am glad I did it last night, to gentle music from KUAT/Arizona Public Media, because, right now, I don't feel anything in my heart except a huge tightness where my tears of grief are stuck.  I had heard about about the shooting before leaving to meet Kellond School kids to watch Southwest Nutcracker ballet performance at the Tucson Music Hall.  It was a lovely performance and I so enjoyed watched some of the class on the edge of their seats, watching the magic of music and dance. 

But, because of the shooting in Connecticut, children were killed, their families are in grief, other children and their families are in trauma.  What can this tiny tree do against the violence of our culture?  Can it stand a little taller today and show resiliency?  I guess I will try to imagine that this is what hope looks like sometimes:  a tiny tree, standing alone, but still standing--its branches outstretched to give shelter and solace, an angel in white, gold star and candle to offer light.  As I finish writing this, I am lighting the candle....

No comments: