Sunday, May 19, 2013

drama productions' commonalities

This week I saw two dramatic productions and what I think is common in both is the courage it takes for actors to be on stage and take risks in playing roles that may or may not connect with the audience.  Last night, we went to "The List" a home-grown muscial at The Fox Theatre.  We went to the Fox because two of the players are twenty-somethings we have come to know at Starbucks.  We only stayed through intermission--the singing was not worth another hour of our time--but I appreciated the story line ("the book"), the imaginative sets, and the overall courage it takes for actors (and all connected with creating an original musical) to put themselves "out there."  One young actor, who had to step in for the lead at the last minute, went through the scenes with all his lines in a notebook.  Amazingly, he did a pretty good job with delivery.  So my hands are clapping today for his and his colleagues' efforts.

Another simpler production was the result of the Kellond "Magnificent 7" kids I have been working with all year--one scene/chapter from one of the two books we read:  A Series of Unfortunate Events.  I was/am really proud of what they tried to do and what they did do--stretched themselves into a new experience and did it in front of an audience of 300 preK-4th grade squirming, but otherwise well-behaved, students and their teachers.  They got a good round of applause for their production and their teacher asked them to do an encore performance just for their 3rd grade class.

So, as I ponder these two different productions, I  share this reflection what I think matters about these efforts and pose a question:  when was the last time I/you took a risk and "put ourselves out there" with a role or story that was new to us? 



2 comments:

Dave Hill said...

As a kid I thought I wanted to be an actor, and I did some stage work and tv. But as I grew older I became very self-conscious and getting up in front of an audience became a kind of self-torture. So I stopped.

You've got to have a love of risk and adventure and wanting to be "seen" to act. Not really my things. But my daughter, Carrie, got the bug (or gene) and has been on stage steadily since she was very young. She is older now but still acts here in Tucson steadily. She loves it and when she is not performing or rehearsing she feels something is missing in her life. Recently, she took on her first directing job, directing two out of six one-acts in the play “All in the Timing” six short plays by David Ives. Its last performance is today at the Temple of Music and Art.

I think her directing was terrific and the pieces were hilarious. Missed a lot of the dialogue, I was laughing so hard. But I'm not the only one. The Tucson newspapers reviews all praised her particular directing job. Guess I'm just being proud and amazed at her courage.

Dave Hill

Anita C. Fonte said...

Thanks for sharing your response and reflection. Sometimes it takes another generation to make the leap we couldn't....