Sunday, June 2, 2013

Play Ball

Last night we watched "Trouble with the Curve" on HBO.  We had seen it in the theatres when it first came out but I liked it better the second time.  Definitely not as good a movie as "42", it still brought some nuances to the game--particularly the weird world of scouting high school players--that I haven't been exposed to.  Thus, I learned something new and was entertained.

It's Sunday afternoon and the Dbacks are playing in drizzly and cold Chicago.  We are going to the game in Phoenix next month for DBacks vs. Cubbies and we'll be going with friends who are Cubs fans, so we will have to agree to disagree for 9 innings or so.  That's a good trust of a decades-old friendship.

I love baseball because of its slow beauty, unpredicatabilty and, sometimes. the keen announcing that describes the games.  I think the Chicago announcers are better than the Arizona current team.  Here, they go into too much selling of the stadium and bits of nonsense compared to the Chicago team that actually stays focused on the game--explaining "change ups" and how trades affect game rotation and wins.  I like to learn about the game as I watch--there is always another nuance because each player is unique.

So, today, for a slow (and hot) Sunday:  "let's play ball!"

No comments: