Sunday, December 1, 2013

Gray encourages us to slow down

Since I wrote a story Friday (based on a prompt from "Writer's Digest") that featured Gray having a conversation with me...I realized I didn't have a recent picture of him to share, thus I had to add an online sketch of a cat to my FB story post. 

So, since we decided to make Sunday (again) a slow day, Mark had time to try for several shots of Gray who is enjoying his first winter in and out of our porch, accessible through his own cat door.  Last year at this time, we still had our 13 year old dog, Lia, so Gray was limited to the front porch, or, when it got cold, the garage, warmed by a space heater and cat bed.

But now, life for Gray (and us) has turned into a much slower and happier pace.   Here he is, chowing down after a morning on the prowl in the neighborhood.




As for me, today, I spent almost two hours with my reflective reading and writing.  We took a vigorous 2 mile walk along the Rillito and then savored some time at our favorite Starbucks.  I skimmed the latest Poets and Writers magazine and Mark and I split a relatively healthy bistro snack, denying the temptation to have a pastry.  The sun is subdued behind late afternoon clouds and I am writing at my west-facing desk, anticipating a lovely sunset to draw this gentle day to a close.

I feel so grateful for our first night of Hanukkah with Lora and Izy, Thanksgiving dinner the next day at Lynette Chapa's, with Aron, Lora, Izy and Lora's brother's family and the "go with the flow" Saturday and Sunday that followed.  I didn't over eat, have exercised in moderate fashion and did fun things such as visit a new retail/buy local shop yesterday (NoneSuchHome on Broadway), "ran into" three past acquaintances I have not seen in years, and went to a matinee of "Despicable Me 2" where we laughed out loud at those charming, crazy yellow minions.

I hope readers of this blog also had a full-of-thanks holiday and are finding ways to "go slow" through this often stressful time of the year.

No comments: