Sunday, August 22, 2010

a bit out of sync

I am a bit out of sync today and don't feel like doing house chores after getting groceries this a.m. We have to eat, of course, although one of the habits that hasn't come back since my ankle accident is my interest in making new recipes. I simply don't feel like cooking at all. Even the recipes in magazines don't interest me as they used to. I still like to eat, still have the five pounds on that came from New Orleans or earlier this summer, but prepping at home is something I don't want to do. I will make a nice omelet for breakfast and maybe a weekend lunch repast of tasty sandwich and fruit but, other than that, I am not the cook I once was. It could be the weather as well--hot and humid--but whatever the cause, our grocery list is just for the basics.

Yesterday we went to Mt. Lemmon and it was gorgeously green and cool. Pink and yellow wildflowers dotted the roadside and there were crevices of yellow black-eyed susans winding their way through the green ferns and grasses. We picniced, read our favorite books and napped. Went to Summerhaven for the street scene of Tucsonans, young and old, new UA students, families with babies and dogs in tow, smiling in a relaxed way at each other, grateful for the 72 degrees instead of the 100 plus temperature in the valley. I slept well but even woke up not especially charged up to swim. I did my neighborhood thirty minutes before groceries and now just want to relax again. My ankle did well yesterday--I even walked a bit on the newly paved road leading to the UA observatory. Today it feels a bit tired, so that's another excuse I have for not picking up the dust rags.

It rained in the valley late last night and broke a few flower stems. The rain is worth their loss, certainly, but I hate cutting off flowered stems and sending them into the garbage. As I sit here and watch them bend over like sad little ladies I sometimes see at church (when I go)--hunched over with curved backs that demonstrate the unwillingness or unknowingness of that generation of women who, like my mom, didn't take calcium for osteoporosis--I want to take care of them and not let them just die. So my big action for this late morning will go trim them and make a small bouquet to put in the glass vase that sits empty on the table outside. That reminds me that I bought two new pots this week for inside cuttings to make root. I can do that later when the sun is off the back yard.

So maybe I will just take what limited energy I seem to have today and nurture my plants. Dust bunnies and wastepaper can just wait for another day.

No comments: