Saturday, March 12, 2011

Blue Beauty Quilt




As part of a new writing project (short short story) on quilting, I am doing research on quilts and went to the Oro Valley quilt show last week. Here is one lovely example and the info that went along with the quilt.

I have a well-loved quilt from my Grandmother Dice that hangs over a rocking chair in my bedroom. It is this quilt that has prompted my query into quilting. In the coming weeks, along with my periodic personal musings, I will be inserting knowledge I am gaining and asking you to hang in there with me as I "piece" my words, pictures and understanding into the background I need for stories.

I think my Grandmother's quilt is one she inherited from her mother or aunt and it dates back to the 1880s, as an example of a "grape basket" pattern, red and qreen, favored by the Pennsylvania Dutch. Even though this is what I have figured out so far, I need to get some confirmation of this by local quilting experts. Unfortunately, if my grandmother, mother or aunt told me the real story of the quilt, I have forgotten it...but sometimes an imagined story will serve just fine. Time will tell if that is true in this case.

So, here we go...on a quilting journey.

No comments: