Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tucson Book Festival etc.

Last Sunday, Mark went with me to (his first, my third trip) to the Tucson Book Festival. I wanted to get there early before the big crowds and I knew I probably couldn't squeeze in a writer's workshop, too. We focused on walking the UA Mall and adjacent areas to few the booths, take time to chat with an author or two and buy some lunch. It was great fun and a lovely day. According to the reports, the crowds continue to expand and this year, for the two days, between 92,000 and 100,000folks came to the Festival. It is an amazing display of local talent and interest in reading and writing. Hurray--Tucson has something to cheer about.

Maybe we will also be cheering for the UA Wildcats after today's NCAA match with Texas but it will be a tough game against a team whose players look like towers of power.

Today, the first day of Spring (and did everyone few the Supermoon last night?), we planted new flowers, laid flower seed and cleaned up pots and the garden area. Sort of tired before housecleaning starts, so "tending" to the blog instead.

As for blogging on quilting--yesterday, in between this and that, I stopped at Bookman's Used Bookstore and picked up a McCall's Quilting Magazine. My mother used to get McCall's Magazine for Women and I looked forward to the Betsy McCall paper doll page which I alternately got to cut out, sharing every other month with my younger sister. I didn't even know McCall's still published any magazines, but here I am gazing at it's cover for "the best American quilting."

In the magazine (March-April, 2011), there is an article on quilting and blogs and I found this site: http://www.ctpubblog.com/. Lo and behold, yesterday, 4/19, was National Quilt Day! I feel as if there is a cosmic rhythm somehow guiding me to stay connected with quilting, even though I couldn't get to the Green Valley Quilting Show this week as I had hoped. Daughter-duties with my dad took precedence on Friday and Saturday got consumed by buying flowers, seeing a friend and having the car tied up in a car wash. I was a bit grumpy about my plans being scuttled but now that mood has passed and I will accept that I am exactly where I need to be.

Where do you need to be on this first day of Spring where light and dark, day and night are perfectly balanced? Do you feel balanced? What are your counterweights to help you stay aright? Mine for today, in no particular order are: birdsong, flowers, walking and music. If I can integrate those elements into my daily life, I tend to not slip and fall. I hope you can hold steady, too.

2 comments:

Prettypics123 said...

Hi Anita,
I really like your last paragraph. I almost see this as your first paragraph. Now off to make my daily post. http://levonnegaddy.com

Anita C. Fonte said...

hmm. that's a helpful comment and I often find my learnings come following or at the end of my blog entries. I found a good book at the Library Bookstore: Write on Target, for a wonderful price ($2.00). So that's my tool for the day. It rained (finally) last night and it's wonderful today in the cleansed desert.