Sunday, January 15, 2012

back from Phoenix

I guess we blew in with a mild winter storm, down the I-10 from Phoenix. Mark had work up there on Friday and we have the hospitality of a colleague-friend who doesn't use her apartment seven days a week. So we extended our Thursday evening to Saturday plans by another day.

By doing so, we were able to enjoy a visit to the Desert Botanical Gardens on Saturday and Mark was able to see a colleague who occasionally flies into Phoenix from South Africa for safety work.

As is not unusual for me on these kind of mini-vacas, I do some reading, writing, ruminating. I finished Frances Mayes, Everyday in Tuscany and, amidst her usual descriptive writing on food and Italian life, there were some final pages nuggets about the writing life that has given me a few ideas for my own approach to writing. I wonder how our new/post-UA retirement-for-Mark schedule will enhance or challenge my writing but a month from now I will have a better sense of that reality.

Just for today, we are home. Lia, our 12 year old mixed breed, welcomed us with squeaks and was well taken care of by our son. Laundry is rolling around in the machine and more awaits. Three days of local and NY Times papers are on the table to be skimmed and/or read, depending on my inclination and interest. Skies outside are clouding up and we may or may not get out to the desert to resume our daily walks with the dog.

A new rhythm for 2012 is emerging for me and us. Is there something new in the year emerging for you?

No comments: