Sunday, June 3, 2012

painting a town

Today, on CBS' "Sunday Morning", I saw a great story about a guy, recently widowed, in his mid-70's, who lives in Glouster (spelling?), Ohio.  I have been to that town with a friend.  It's a sweet place.  He said, however, that many of the houses and small businesses (cafes, hardware store) haven't been painted in years, so he decided to repaint his town.  He started with the fire hydrant and then bridge walls.  Gradually, he moved down the block and painted homes, then businesses.  Other folks joined him, and even the high school kids got into the rhythm.  If  people didn't know how to paint, they hung awnings, put up hinges on doors.  He said, quite simply and eloquently, that "when people add a fresh coat of paint, their hearts change color, too."  What a wonderful legacy he is creating.

So, I am thinking to myself today, what can I do to, metaphorically, to "paint my town?"  And, as it happens, this week I am starting my new volunteer gig at the public library as a reading partner.  So, instead of painting, I am encouraging kids (and their parents, I hope), to "turn a new page" and read.

So: what can/are you doing to "paint your town" or help it "turn a new page"?

No comments: