Monday, July 30, 2012

It rained most of the afternoon

I just checked the local weather page and we're having a very good monsoon this year.  We are almost where we need to be (a little over 5.5 inches for the year) and twice what we were this time a year ago.  The storms seems to be coming in every three or five days and dropping the temperatures as well as resaturating the desert soil.  When we walked around our neighborhood last night, the dampness stuck to our skin but, because it was pleasantly cool, it was really a joyful experience.  Every cell of the desert earth seemed to have fragrance and, with the purple Texas Rangers still blooming (to which I am highly allergic), the lavendar-like scent swathed our senses.  Here's a link to some gorgeous pictures of the bush in bloom:  http://tjsgarden.com/2012/07/15/texas-ranger-shrub-flowering-desert-bush-sage/

We can just begin to sense the shortening of days, too.  As August beckons its head around the corner, I am just about ready to buy sweet corn from the grocery store.  There is a clinging memory I have of eating corn in August in Illinois that keeps me from buying it in June and July.  We get the corn from Mexico so it can come early, but I wait.  And I usually limit my experience to one or two simple meals of boiled sweet corn and butter.  We have grilled it sometimes, too, but I like the "classic" taste of boiled sweet corn.  I can go exotic and twirl the ears in olive oil and not brush on butter but that's as far as my classic taste buds will go.

Are there certain flavors you favor this time of the year?  Are there signs you see that suggest the summer is winding down?

2 comments:

Prettypics123 said...

Oh darn! I hope that summer is not winding down yet.I'm just starting to get into it! Summers bring to me a sense of freedom from those days long ago when school was out and I was free.

Anita C. Fonte said...

You know us Sonoran types: looking for signs of diminishing temperatures.