Sunday, September 23, 2012

roadside flowers

My husband, on a solo trip in Flagstaff (and then eastward to Pinetop), took this pic of roadside flowers outside of Flagstaff.  I stayed in the (too warm) Tucson valley, still "highwayed out" as I told him after the two hour journey from Huntington Beach to Malibu two weeks ago.  The bumper to bumper, shoulder to shoulder, shop to shop panorama continues to be a reflection of what hell would look and feel like to me.  Heaven, on the other hand, is open space such as this picture and what we continue to enjoy about living in the Tucson area.  Yesterday, finishing up chores, I savored the late afternoon light on UA Campus farms where cattle and horses leisurely chewed on green grass and a field of tassling corn in their background gave me a momentary time travel to Randall Road in Elgin, Illinois and my grandparents' farm.  Autumn's light is here even if the cooler daytime temps have not yet settled in but the nights are lovely.  Last night, I sat on the porch, watching Gray the cat's tail twitch to music we could both hear from the nearby Greek Festival.  The notes enthralled me so much I got up and did a little Zorba jig and then, as that music stilled for a moment, sang "Bella Notte" (from the movie, "Lady and the Tramp") to the half moon.  When you are lifted up by song, what childhood chorus comes to your heart?

2 comments:

Prettypics123 said...

Hi Anita,
Sounds like you had a spirited few moments there with Gray and the music! Lovely. We're enjoying an extended summer here in Petaluma. Up to 80 by most middays still after a foggy or overcast and cool morning. Life is good. Our dreams seem to be coming to fruition in ways we could not have planned. So is life...

Anita C. Fonte said...

Yes, it was a spirited encounter with Gray and the Greek music. You last few posts sound happy so it's good to know your dreams are unfolding, if not exactly as you had hoped, exactly as they are.