Saturday, August 10, 2013

At the Tucson Padres Ball Game

I try not to think about next summer when even AAA baseball will be in Tucson's past.  I don't care how the County tries to promote soccer; it will never replace the All-American past time for me.  So, with a bit of melancholy in my mood, we went to one of the last Tucson Padres games last night and took our son's partner's daughter, Izy, with us.  She had already been swimming in our neighborhood pool for an hour (after a full day of first grade), but that didn't seem to dampen her energy level much once she saw the inflatable playgrounds and, especially, the waterslide.  She was flying around that thing like a waterbird.  It didn't matter that she often went head first into the pool of water; she smiled with delight and kept going back for more. (It's blurry due to her speed and the splashing water on the phone's camera).




After about 45 minutes of playground time, I insisted we stop to eat a bite.  She and I enjoyed a delicious food truck quesadilla while Mark chomped on the hot dog (free ticket for "the kid" on kid's night which also meant Izy got in for free.  The playground wristbands cost $5.00 so it all came within budget for the afternoon/evening:).





After we ate, I was able to watch some of the game and admire the new moon in the western sky.  Izy went back to the playground for another 30 minutes before we said "enough" and packed up to go home. 

Later, watching the news, I was glad to see the Padres won the game.  Their last-ever game is August 24th with fireworks and other events planned and we hope to go to that, with or without young child.  As I watched the families in the stands, at the playground and food venues, I wonder where all these hard-working families will go for wholesome and affordable fun that doesn't involve movie screens or pizza restaurant circus play.  It's a sad day for Tucson when we bid pro baseball good-bye.  And it's a long wait for UA baseball season to start.  I guess that's where I will have to go for Tucson future baseball.  Oh, well. We have good memories of the SideWinders and spring Dbacks training.

No comments: