Saturday, August 31, 2013

Morning Glories

Three summers ago, a stray morning glory vine began to creep into our backyard.  I wasn't sure what it was a first--just a green vine that I welcomed to create a canopy in a space left by an oleander killed from Texas root rot.  The stumps of the oleander provided a natural trellis for the vine that, in August, began to bloom.  I learned that when the frost comes, the vine becomes a brown paper-crumply mess, but, I decided at the first year, to keep on tending it during the early summer months if it returned.  This year the vine spread beyond the back wall to the post on our porch.  Mark's photo, taken this morning after another night/early morning of light rain, shows the multiple blooms we are now enjoying at breakfast.  They don't bloom past 10 a.m. so it's a quick burst of color and I do so enjoy counting the flowers as I feed the birds.  I hope you enjoy them, too.

No comments: