Thursday, April 29, 2010

four more days

It's not certain, but I am hoping that on Monday my cast gets cut off and will be replaced by a moon boot that will weigh less and offer me more mobility. It will be another month on crutches or the walker but maybe I will get into a therapy pool and have other inticements for normalcy.

I am going to work tonight and hope I can keep my mind engaged (as well as my leg elevated.) I still can't seem to shift up to 2nd gear and prefer to keep my reading time short and my movie watching long. Saw both a great movie (Traffic) yesterday and a horrible one (Four Christmases). There's a wide range of stories out here.

Last night, Aron came over and made us delicious cheeseburgers. We had gone to AJ's for kobe meet and fixins' and I hate to admit it but the better quality beef ($14.00 for 4 patties) makes a quality burger. Of course, it also takes a skilled grillmeister and Aron is definitely that person. I occasionally have a flutter of mother worry-attachment but most of the time during my recovery, I just let those flutters go, concentrate on the goodness in life and push aside the worries like the dust bunnies that gather under our couches.

It is amazing how the weight of the cast counterbalances my tendency to worry. I can detach when the physical load I am carrying already is too much of a burden. Will I be able to transfer that learning to normal life in June? Since I know I can detach more than I have in the past, will grasping come back with mobility? Even now, as I right this, after having a good night's sleep, my eyelids beckon me to rest. But I have a conference call to attend to and, again, I hope my mind clicks in and I can begin to use some brain cells for more than dreaming.

No comments: