Wednesday, April 14, 2010

massage magic

today I had a back massage and it worked like magic on my tense back and shoulders. this kind of body attention should be covered by medical plans because I have no doubt that the mental, physical, emotional and spiritual components are connected. so much irony in this experience: I have gone to The Right Touch for birthday facials and other bodywork when my back muscles got to the point of "do something different" and drove past the place the week before my injury and thought "I should make time for a massage, but it's so expensive." Now, here I am, figuring on going at least once a week, definitely next Monday before Tuesday's surgery. I found out that my masseuse used to work at a hospital in Calif. and did pre an post op massages and even, upon occassion, rubbed patients' feet during surgery. so I am literally in good hands.

other magical moments in the past three days:

*the barista at Starbucks was trying to maintain corporate composure--you know, greet you and act like she is my new best friend and wants to make me my drink as a gift (that I pay for, of course). this one had a sunny smile and perky eyes, so when she heard about my injury, I got a vente instead of a grande shaken ice tea lemonade and, since we were in drive-thru, time was short so she short handed her comments which she meant to say "so sad, but hopefully you will be better soon" but instead chirped "I am hopefully sad for you." My husband and I burst out laughing (first laughter I have had since falling) and it felt so great to laugh and to accept that phrase as a truth for the day: "hopefully sad."

*there is an acquaintance I know who was recently diagnosed stage 3 ovarian cancer. I sent her a card and have added her to my daily prayers. She called me today, while waiting for her second round of chemo, to see how I was doing--amazing. When I told her I missed going to the gym/YMCA, she said she had just purchased a temp membership and maybe she could take ME when I was up to it! what a woman, what resilience and yet, when I said, "thank you, I have your in my prayers every day," she quickly left the conversation (and had to get to chemo, they were "buzzing" her). So we all need to reach out, maybe especially when we are in our own trauma stories. Kindness counts, heals us as well as the person we reach out to....

*and the daily miracles with my husband: he's relearning me and I am relearning him. We are branching out with new growth like the mesquite trees through these days.

*and being fed good food by others: last night my aspiring chef son came over and made delicious NY strip steaks, brocolli with white wine and garlic, mushrooms and french rolls. What tasted more delicious: the red juice of the meat or the sight of him gracing my kitchen with movements he first learned on the basketball court and has perfected at the Arizona Inn?

so that's my post for the day. I am a good girl: I wrote!

No comments: