Tuesday, June 29, 2010

after PT

A quick posting after PT (I need some sugar to keep me going so that comes next):

Lots of new/old muscle groups starting to work again. The therapist started with a massage of ankle tissue, moving the fluid up toward the heart and it's something I can do at home. We did motion stretches and an interesting exercise with the foot on a ball, she held onto a resistance band and I rolled my leg toward my head. I could feel the upper calf and thigh muscles saying "hello", we are here! She introduced me to a pelvic/back muscle band strengthening exercise which is in preparation for the lower back to begin to do more weight bearing movements. Then we did a weight shifting exercise, rt leg shifts to left leg, vice versa and a "step up" exercise which is a kind of deconstructed marching movement with a bend in the foot front and back. Of course, the right ankle can't bend very well in the forward movement but it's pretty good toward the back. The last two I can do also in the pool.

I know that a portion of this recovery is "mental". For example, I took my first solo car drives today--just to the UA and back home but doing it alone was a big step. I have to focus more and not just "kick back" into driving habits where I took ankle/leg movements for granted. It's all about learning.

This morning, I reconnected with my meeting/recording skills and, afterwards, I felt twinges in my right back muscles--moving in old/new patterns as I scribed meeting ideas. It felt good to be doing that work again!

so, now, I will reward myself with a sugar buzz. I look forward to my evening swim tonight and soothing some of the areas that I worked hard today.