Friday, June 18, 2010

first steps

I took my first wobbly steps without the walker yesterday! Here's how I made the physical and psychological transition from post surgery to first steps:

1. Starting the week after the accident 4/10, I did massages twice a week, sitting in a chair with my casted leg on a stool. I have shifted to once a week as I added swimming and, after Dr's okay, got on the massage table with treatment still focused on my back, arms, hands and neck. This week, she added a solid leg massage to my left/good leg and a softer treatment to the knee and thigh on my left, very gentle tough and Reiki to the calf and left ankle and foot.

2. Pool therapy: Since the stitches were removed, I did pool therapy 4-6 times a week. I started with walking in the water almost under my neck, began with the side stroke. In the second week, I added a very lopsided breaststroke and back crawl with the frog kick. I then added bicycling in the water, holding onto the rail in the pool. After the doctor gave me the okay, I added the freestyle and flutter kick (first, just the flutterkick holding onto the rail and then, later, the full stroke). I began to walk in water only up to my waist. It was, again, wobbly at first, but then it became more balanced. During this time (about a month), the lifeguards assisted me in and out of the pool. Last week, I began to get out of the pool, leading with my left/good leg and this week added getting into the pool (four step), again, leading with my left leg.

3. Bicycle therapy and body weights: For the past week, I have added bicycling on a recumbant bike at the Y. At first, the RPM was about 20 but now I am up to 60. I started with 10 mins, and then 5 mins after I also did some upper body weights and yesterday up to 20 mins (1 mile) and 5 mins after weights. Even while I was in my cast, I did free arm weights at home so I was only down 20 lbs when I restarted at the Y. So, starting at 30 lbs on most weight stations, I am up to 40, a couple of 50 lbs, at the different weight stations and I added one weight station which exercises the back of the thigh muscles. When I bicycle, I do not wear my boot and have, this week, started to flex my ankle more on the pedals as I push.

4. Gradual body weight gain: Througout the past two weeks, I followed Dr's order about adding 25 lbs every three days. The first 50 lbs were the hardest to do. The last 25 was the easiest. I pretty much stayed on schedule, weighing myself when I had the boot on (I always wear it when I go out but use a soft shoe for going from the couch or bed to the bathroom). Balance on it has been tricky but easier as I added weight. My body weight is (hard to tell exactly) but around 122-125 lbs.

5. Treadmill: Although the Dr. didn't say I could (and I forgot to ask), I started on the treadmill yesterday with the boot. I only did it for five minutes but I did it, after the first minute, without holding on to the rails, so I begin to remember what it feels like to balance while I walk. That was a key memory for me to experience.

6. Walking: So, when I got home, with the boot on, I walked around the house several times. It felt great! I am still using the walker for going up and down our small step but I suspect I will gain more confidence about balance and, as I practice steps in the pool, be able to let go of the walker around the single step. Then, it's just one step at a time. I think leading with my left makes sense for now.

At night, maybe because of the additional efforts, at night, I awake and my calf muscle aches. I took a tylenol last night and that helped. Trying to sleep on my side with a flat pillow between my legs has mixed success. My masseuse suggested a body pillow, so maybe I will look into that.

I hope to try my foot on the gas pedal and brake this weekend. If it goes well, I will drive with my shoe and put the boot on when I get out. If not, I will try again next weekend. But from walking to wheels is a good goal.

No comments: