Saturday, June 19, 2010

P.S. to eleven weeks

I didn't anticipate a second entry today but here it is:

Last night I did experience a back spasm on my left side which I attributed to a "reach" to turn off the bedside light. It calmed down this morning and I only felt a couple of twinges in the pool. However, when, with the boot on, we went out to eat and I put my leg up as I have been doing for weeks, the spasms started and would not stop! I could barely breath.

Fortunately, we went to my massage place and I caught one of the staff just as she was leaving. Afterr a thirty minute treatment with BioFreeze and cold stones, I am much better. She diagnosed what I sort of felt was happening: my pelvis is out of alignment with the boot, now that I am "walking" with it, higher than the left leg.

She suggested I wear a higher heeled shoe on the left, like a mule shoe, which I have but it's a winter shoe so I will have to look for something else. She showed me how to put towels under the right hip at night or towels under the left side curve if I sleep on my left, which I usually do. I will alternate ice and heat today and make sure I don't put my right leg higher than the left.

The pain from the back spasms was worse than anything I experienced from the ankle. I walked out of the massage in two same shoes but with the walker so I wouldn't immediately aggravate the back. I think I now have questions about using the boot for the next three weeks without throwing the back out of whack. More questions for my doctor!

No comments: