Friday, June 25, 2010

it takes many people

I am so aware that my recovery is not something I can do alone. After my surgery, I blogged about an estimate of how many people it took to take care of me for 24 hours: 30. Add to that my chauffeurs, the Y lifeguards, friends who provided food, hubbie's 24/7, and now several PT staff at PROActive. It takes many people.

Yesterday was my first PT session and Kevin, who assessed me said that I had one of the best ankles he's assessed in a first week of PT. I came home with six exercises and will be going back twice a week (except for next week when we go out of town). I feel very good about getting this help in not only strengthening the ankle, but learning how to get up/down from the floor, how to assess my readiness to drive (ability to slam on the break, as Dr. B said on Monday). My back seems okay for now, though I noticed a tightness this morning and my masseuse did work on it last night. She noted that the shoulder area where I fell and where Dr. B did a manipulation is knotty, so I am tending that, too.

Today, a milestone was that I walked (boot on right, Sketchers on left, three wheeler carrying towell and flip flops) down to the neighborhood pool. I really felt good about doing this and having the neighborhood pool as an option for my swimming since the Y pool is getting really crowded during the week with little ones learning how to swim. Although the June heat is tough to take when getting around, it's perfect for the pool.

I am beginning to reemerge, like a butterfly from a cocoon, and testing my wings--how strong they are, where I can fly, and how much I can fly alone, how much I will fly with others. This feels like a good place to be.

No comments: