Saturday, May 1, 2010

attitudes

Yesterday I "walked" from the car to the city's theraputic pool and was exhausted and depressed. Just three weeks ago, I could swim 30 mins of laps, walk the treadmill for 2-3 miles and now I can barely walk 1000 feet. I am not sure this pool is my preference because of the walk and also the temperature at 92 degrees. The city's other pool also has an incline entryway but is a bit cooler and less crowded. My Lighthouse Y pool probably has the shortest car to pool distance (if I skip the locker room) but it has stairs and I am not sure how to navigate those. I guess I will talk to Dr. Chilvers about it on Monday when she removes the cast, puts on the boot. I will see what my ankle looks like, stitches and all, but I do know the swelling has subsided a lot.

Several colleagues and strangers have told me unsolicited stories about their surgery recoveries and complications with pain and ligaments. It's not good for me to hear these stories because I need to stay positive which isn't easy.

I need to get outside today. Yesterday is was quite cool at 65 degrees but today it will be in the low 70s which is remarkably pleasant for May 1st. I wish we still had Maypole celebrations--fertility rites notwithstanding. I recall in ballet class how we practiced Maypole dancing to Vivaldi's "Spring", of course. We didn't have a pole but just did the weaving and pointing, twirling and skipping. It was fun.

I would rather be celebrating Spring's joys than thinking about the pros and cons of a protest march on immigration. Sometimes pagan celebrations out trump proletarian realities and in light of the recent oil spill, continued unemployment, racism's resurgence, etc., Vivaldi, flowers, bunnies and wine are quite appealing.

Okay, then: attitude adjustment--take a drive today and see the yellow palo verde trees, the prickly pear cactus blooms (red, purple, yellow). watch birds build nests and be grateful I have eyes to see, ears to hear, and a good leg to walk on.

1 comment:

Prettypics123 said...

Nice touch - Maypole dancing...