Friday, May 14, 2010

Siesta

Well, the pool was terrific yesterday and I was very cautious with putting my foot on the ground as I tried to buoyantly walk. Sidestroke was doable as was laying on my back, holding the rail, and gently water walking--one stroke at a time. I will go back today and try to get into a routine of at least 3x a week plus my massage(s). But today I am dragging a bit due to so-so night sleep: had another foot cramp in my left (walking) foot. That wakes me up and I begin to fret and can't get back to sleep. So I may nap after this, before getting ready to go to the pool.

I notice how the season is shifting to summer and how my outside routine is being affected by the additional warmth. I should get up earlier but I can't seem to muster morning energy. I was signed up for an online work webinar but don't feel interested in making the effort right now. I think I am mildly depressed (again) today. Too much bad news in the newspapers about the oil spill, wars around the globe, recesssion and the idiocy of Arizona politics.

Mark keeps bringing up possible relocation alternatives post 2011 when he retires, but I can't get very enthused about that idea. I can see the merit of finding a way to "beat the heat" during the summer but not move from Tucson completely. Even though my hand-holding relationships are few here, the few I have I value highly. I couldn't get through this period with Rita and Susan S. and a couple of others who have chipped in with time and food and offers to take me places (which I will start using as Mark is returning back to work at UA).

Being grounded in the desert is not an easy relationship to shake off. I suppose I could consider another place with mountains, but since we have ranges in all four directions, that would be a high standard to try to match. But I guess I have to remain open to possibilities of change; certainly, this injury has taught me that again.

So, this is short today--I really do need to lay me down and take a morning siesta.

No comments: