Friday, May 28, 2010

awakening

My mind seems a bit flat today. I had a good night's sleep and taking it slow this morning, too. In a week, I see my dr. for a progress check and I am hoping she sees progress and that it's as anticipated. When I get up in the morning, I take off the boot and do my in-bed stretches and exercises. I begin to move around and see my normal-colored foot begin to turn pink then purple and I would like not to see that color change. The stiffness behind the ankle is beginning to lessen, but it is (seemingly) tissue layer by tissue layer.

Today is going to be hot--maybe 100 degrees, and I have an outing planned around lunchtime (a nonbillable work meeting). Later, I hope Mark leaves work early so I can swim at the Y.

Mentally, I think my flatness is due, in part, because I a) have no immediate work tasks emerging and b) I am stuck with my creative writing. I don't feel inspired to do much of anything, although reading is good. I think my morning read of the NY times today harvested a new idea, compliments and nods to writer, David Brooks. He writes about "choice architecture" and, interestingly enough, this week I was talking with a friend about how we assess risks we will and won't take which is close to what he DB is writing about--with the added dimension of complexity of systems and technology that is part of our "choice architecture." So, the concept of how we make choices within complex systems connects to the oil spill disaster but it also connects to other choices, some of which we make daily. DB suggests we make a low calculated risk when we use a crosswalk on the street and more people are killed with this choice than with jaywalking because, in a crosswalk, we don't look both ways but rely on the technology of the crosswalk to make our pathway safe.

I took a calculated risk on 4/10 when I chose to place myself by the patio table while Mark chose to go up a ladder that he "trusted" was locked since the lock clicked (which should be the indicator that the ladder is locked). So consequences come within a seemingly simple system of a crosswalk or an extension ladder.

As I go through my day today, I am going to pay closer attention to my personal "choice architecture" and the systems I assume are working (ex: ligaments, tendons, bones and metal plate and screws in my ankle) in order for me to function and grow. What other systems do I assume are working and where are the choices I make to either support or impede these systems? What role/responsibility to I take on or give up in these systems?

Well, so much for my mind being flat today---thanks to this blog, I am now awake with almost too many questions swirling in my mind!

1 comment:

Prettypics123 said...

You're too funny!!! I love it.