Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Surprises and Joy

In my daily evening journal I have several prompts that are part of a daily self-inventory. Two that sometimes I write nothing for are "surprises" and "joy." I use a working definition of "joy" that defines "joy" as a response triggered by some shift from the inside out (contrast with "happiness" which is externally driven, i.e. I am happy when I hear the birds sing in the morning). I know I am out of sync with my Higher Power when, for that day, I have no surprise or joy that I can recall. I accept that lack of alignment for what it is and don't beat myself about it; for that day, I simply wasn't aligned enough to find joy and/or surprise in my day.

Sometimes, tho, surprise and/or joy just leap up at me and this morning was one of those times. Aron is taking some time off from work and so is "around" a bit more. This morning, in response from his dad, he came to make me (and himself) breakfast. That was a surprise! It was also delicious in taste. The joy came from laughter from all three of us as we exchanged banter about daily horoscopes and my morning captain-to-lieutenant barking "orders" for breakfast and chores. I reminded both of them that I am alone with Lia most of the day--and she does all the barking when it's just the two of us. The only "talk" time I have is before Mark goes to work and after he comes back, with the recent addition of talk and swim time when I am chauffered to the Y. And I digress: the point is joy. I felt joy in hearing them laugh and being able to laugh, too.
So tonight I will have something to write for those reflective elements.

I also experienced (all before 8:15 a.m.) humility and gratitude when an acquaintance came by to drop off a book. She was on her way to chemotherapy for Stage III ovarian cancer. Her husband was the only person who, years ago when Mark was laid off from BHP Copper, reached out to Mark to support him, mano y mano. Chemo patients have their distinct look: no head hair, no eyebrows or eyelashes, skin glowing like neon. She had that look but her own look, too: colorful scarf wrapped stylishly on her head, smile stretching across her shiny face, hands outstreched with generousity in spirit as she handed me a book. Now I shift from my earlier smile to contained tears--all these emotions now, before 9 a.m.

So, dear readers, whoever you are, whenever you read this, I challenge you to my challenges: to find a surprise today, to experience joy, humility, gratitude. To live the slow life!

1 comment:

Prettypics123 said...

Anita, A rich morning you have had. Lovely. I love your story and I love your challenge to find a surprise today, every day. I like your definitions of joy and happiness. Have a wonderful rest of the day.