Monday, May 10, 2010

There's a colleague of Mark's in the back yard and the dog, Lia, is barking. I go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and there is no cup to rinse my mouth out. I hobble to the kitchen, dog still barking, to get a cup and the phone rings. It's my sister: yesterday my dad was admitted to the hospital and is undergoing some tests. I was frank with her yesterday and said "you will have to step up the plate" (underlying message: I cannot step up, so it's your turn). She didn't go out to the hospital yesterday (nor did I), but she called to say that if he's released today, she will pick him up.

My stitches should come out today. I have been gently massaging extra strength dry skin lotion on my foot, between the toes, around the still slightly swollen (from the dislocation) heel and around the stitched, up the calf. My calf is gaining some muscle back with my "air walking" and, as it does, the stingy numbness is shifting to muscle ache/nerve feelings restored. I don't have much discomfort on the side where the plate is (outside ankle bone), but have twinges or a slight burning feeling on the inside area, where the two screws are located. I can wiggle my toes well and bend them except for the stiff big toe. When I stretch my ankle toward my body, the stiffness (which might be ligaments or scar tissue) still feels taut, but less so. It will be interesting to see what the doctor says, what she asks me to do next. I wear the boot only at night and when I go out; it limits what I can do in some ways and expands it in others. If I start going out more, I will be wearing it more, I suppose.

I went to Borders yesterday and found I could manage the cafe pretty well. I bought a new mystery book to expand my slowly returning mind and, since its setting is in Italy, I am being entertained and intriqued. It already seeped into my dreams last night. Of course, one dream was about losing my walker and walking with the discomfort I feel currently, so that physical state has been imprinted on my subconscious. All of the learnings are interesting.

I am sitting at the computer right now, not the laptop, so my time is more limited. But I feel as if I am making progress.

No comments: