Friday, May 21, 2010

Beowulf

A couple of nights ago, I caught some segments of a 2007 movie, Beowulf, on FX channel and just finished reading about it and the original story online. I had to read parts of it in college and then again when Aron went to St. Gregory's, but it wasn't a story I particularly liked at either time. However, there was something about the story this time around that caught my interest. Maybe a person has to live long enough to get a sense of one's own storyline/narrative and have some experiences with slaying monsters before the story rings true.

I am interested in how the story starts not at the beginning of Beowulf's life trajectory but in the middle--maybe that's what appeals to me because I am past-the-middle of my own life and feel that my current recovery is a "battle"--mostly against my own demons of ego, independence, impatience and perfection.

Another detail that intrigues me is the picture of burial mounds that were common in Sweden during the 5-7th centuries and the excavation of one of these in the late 1870s "confirms" the Beowulf story. And, as I connect the dots in my imagination, I connect this interest to my creative recovery and reading in "The Golden Vein" of the importance of writing my own storyline. I have been pushing back against the idea of an autobiographical writing exercise, and I didn't do it a year ago when I first came to this exercise, but maybe it's time now. I certainly do have the time and some of the motivation to at least go for a first attempt.

My ankle recovery is now moving past the halfway mark on the 8 week recovery cycle. I have no idea where I really am in the reality of that cycle and have two more weeks before I see Dr. C again (that will be week 6.5 when I see her). Mark is planning an East Coast trip but I started to freak out last night about it, imagining all I would have to do by myself and 98% of that I can't yet do by myself. So, as I said, I have my own demons to confront. One sword swipe at a time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Readers are innately more interesting and introspective people. And they itch more for life, both mental and physical. It's nice to read your thoughts on Beowulf and other literature. Only a person of deep intellect like you, can think so much even while physically struggling with immobility.