Monday, May 17, 2010

Reading and Writing

Today might be the day I begin to write for my short story again. I have begun to "think like a writer" again--actually, I have only recently begun to think at all. Yesterday I experienced some light headedness again. It may be allergies but it still feels like I am almost out of my self for a micro second. Maybe I should be checking my low blood pressure, too, that could be a factor.

Anyway, throughout these five weeks, I have been slowly reading "The Boating Party" by Susan Vreeland. I ordered it, along with a collection of her short stories, because I had started by writing again with vignettes based on paintings that inspired me. She did short stories and this long novel on paintings, too, mostly the Impressionists. At first, the story was hard for me to connect with: dense with painting details I didn't relate to and short on action. But as the characters developed, I began to get immersed in the story and now I look forward to my twilight time when I sit outside and read a chapter or two.

My pace of life is similar to the rhythm I sense as the painter paints his masterpiece: very slowly and not linear--he starts a figure and then scrapes it off to start again. My healing seems to be like that. I woke this morning with more toe tingling and don't know if that's a step backwards or forwards. My swelling continues to go down but the nerve sensation process seems circular. Yesterday in the pool, I did a couple of more side stroke laps and a bit longer (not a full lap yet) on the forward and back crawl, as well as water walking. I could feel a "hot spot" emerge in my heel as I "walked" and could feel the ankle stiffness in front and back as I did the crawl. Maybe it's all to the good. I know I feel better in the pool and when I get out, I also feel refreshed. But it is a more concentrated workout than when I was well and could do my 30 mins of laps while enjoying the music or doing mental affirmations. Now, I need to concentrate on my ankle--or at least that is what I am doing, whether I need to or not.

Taking a break (necessary: no one to drive me today to the pool) from swimming but I have a massage and shower/bath later today. So I should have the energy to write; depends, now, if I have the desire and the will!

1 comment:

Prettypics123 said...

Reading and writing! A perfect life!